Blog Banner

The blog banner was made with elements from Lorie Davison. The nail head is Mo Jackson, the white rabbit and the key is Tangie Baxter. The butterflies are from Katie Pertiet.

Monday, December 14, 2009

Up on the housetop reindeer paws (?)



I was filling out a friend's Christmas game the other day. It's one of those trivia games where you have to guess the song. The question was, "Where do reindeer put their paws?" Paws? paws???? Cats have paws, reindeer have hooves. AND it's, "Up on the rooftop reindeer pause." As in pausing before old St. Nick hauls himself and his bag of goodies out onto said housetop and tries to shinny down the chimney hoping that the kind folks who live there have left the flue open. Otherwise the song becomes, "There's something stuck up in the chimney, and I don't know what it is, but it's been there since last Christmas." So, on Christmas Eve keep those
flues open. ...just saying...


I love reindeer. I have lots.
Basically, I just enjoy decorating with old beat up stuff and animals. Here's the reindeer vignette on the dining room table.
The shepherds abiding by their flock over on the buffet enjoy watching them too. I put those little battery operated votive candles around them at night. I use to think they were kind of cheezy, but then I realized that I could possibly lower the cost of my home owner's insurance by using them. Kidding. I'm just kidding. They are great though and available just about everywhere!

This is my Wendy Addison addition to the collection I purchased at Marshall Field's
(Macy's) at their after Christmas sale last year. I didn't grow up in Chicago but I adopted it
heart and soul and it is STILL Field's forever and always to me. Nothing says
Christmas like a lovely vintage looking piece hanging on an empty wine bottle.
This empty bottle has two dressed up
piggies (animal theme anyone?) and it
is called Le Snoot!


I had to save it. Wouldn't you? The wine was Merlot and really pretty forgettable but, the bottle was worth the $5.00 I think I paid for it. I am a wine snob, you know...







The Christmas season is in full swing. Get out your fancy duds, favorite bottle of wine, sing your most precious Christmas carols and deck them halls! Hallelujah, holy cow, and
where's the eggnog!?!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've done a whole reindeer display too, I love to see them with the white trees. Mine don't have their own wine though, maybe I should pick up a bottle for them....

Queen Bee said...

Kathy - Thanks for the sweet comment on my blog. I simply adore your reindeers. My husband was born and raised in Chicago...and his sisters still say Marshall Fields...always. Have a merry day! Denise

Susan said...

Wow Kathy.....everything looks really nice. You were busy on your day off. Any eggnog left??? Maybe we could mix it with my "Fat Tire"...

Anonymous said...

Hahahaha, I love the sarcasm. Reindeer paws is hilarious.

p.s. My mother is an alcoholic.

Georges Reivres said...

No, but like most animals with hooves they, reindeer, do paw or scratch. Sneer away, but the question is not so foolish as you seem to think, nor has the author's actual intent ever been definitively determined. Heck, he may well have been aware of the ambiguity and was having a bit of fun.