Blog Banner

The blog banner was made with elements from Lorie Davison. The nail head is Mo Jackson, the white rabbit and the key is Tangie Baxter. The butterflies are from Katie Pertiet.

Monday, May 9, 2011

Strawberries, Crab Legs, and Voodoo

I hope everyone had a wonderful Mother's Day.
We did.  This past weekend was a birthday, 
an anniversary, 
and Mother's Day all in one.
 I decided to make a version of 
Strawberry Shortcake.
I made an angel food cake.

I cut up some beautiful strawberries.



I love strawberries in a white bowl.
Despite the fact I have an outdated mauve countertop,
beads, jewelry components, voodoo dolls, 
and a stained tea towel on the kitchen counter
it makes me feel like Martha.
Just for a minute.
Even though, I've heard from a very good source
that Martha does not have
Voodoo dolls on her counter top.


Let the strawberries sit and macerate
Yes.
That's the word.
You can look it up.
Use it in a sentence.
Amaze your friends!
It means, "soften by soaking in liquid."
Actually all they are doing is soaking up sugar.
They weren't quite as sweet as I had hoped.


See!
Macerating strawberries.


And here they are.
Please pay no attention to all of the 
junk sitting on the table.

We had a great dinner. 
I made everything.
Chicken, steaks, crab legs...
Well, almost not 
crab legs.


I lost them.
For about 20 minutes.
For about 20 minutes 3 adults scoured the kitchen 
looking for frozen crab legs.
You wouldn't really think 
that they would be that easy to lose, 
now would you?

I mean...

wait for it...

They can't just 

WALK AWAY!~!!

Ever notice when you lose something.  I mean, really LOSE something the conversation becomes surreal?
While looking for said crablegs 
we said things like:

Did you check the garbage?  Maybe you threw them away.
Did you look in the basement?  
How about the garage?  Do you think you put them in the garage?
Amanda.  Would you check the pantry?
Do you think you put them in with your beads?
Hey!  Did anyone check the computer room??
How about the bathroom?  Oh, you already looked there?  Good.

We found them
3 adults checked the refrigerator approximately
427 times.
They were in there.
In the cheese drawer.
...never mind...



And the voodoo dolls?
They didn't help one iota.
Not a bit.


You are wondering about these, aren't you?


Well.  Aren't you?

Hope you had a marvelous Mother's Day!

8 comments:

Suz said...

Your voodoo dolls are hilarious and I love the story of the crab legs. I lost a list today and we just about turned the bedroom upside down. Of course, it was in an obvious place.I am the proud owner of a mauve countertop, too! How about that!
Smiles,
Suz

Terri Kahrs said...

You KNOW I'm curious about those voodoo dolls!!! Just want you to know that I'd NEVER loose crab legs - my husband, child, dog, grandchild, yes! Crab legs and/or lobster - now way Jose!!!! My heart almost stopped beating when I realized that you DID misplace them!!! Hope they were yummy, and hope that you had a fabulous Mother's Day too! Hugs, Terri xoxo

Bohemian said...

LMAO... you are TOO funny and it is nice to see a Household and Post I can TOTALLY relate to in every way... well, except for the Voodoo Dolls, can't say I have a set of those... and yes, NOW I'm wondering *Winks*... so don't keep us in suspense too long...

Hope you had a Happy Mother's Day in spite of the Crab Leg Treasure Hunt... sometimes I "misplace" things that I'm actually still carrying around or wearing and don't realize it until someone reminds me... yep, I'm about ready for a "Home" they say... but then that would mean they would have to wade through all this crap... um, I mean these priceless Treasures that I've amassed over a Lifetime of Junquing and seeking out Found Treasures... so they've decided to leave me be... *Winks*

Dawn... The Bohemian

Pansy Cottage Girl said...

As always you deliver a punchline like no other!

Cameron said...

So did anyone do the crab legs "walking away puppet show" with theirs before they ate them? Just curious...I woulda ;P

Sounds delish, tho... a little clue hunting always improves the appetite...you had your own mystery dinner theatre...haha!

...and yes, I am wondering about those almost too cute to stick a pin in, voodoo dolls....do tell.....

karlascottage.typepad.com said...

Those voodoo dolls could have been the problem. They could have cursed your fridge!

Cher' Shots said...

Too funny! Your surreal conversation sounds way too familiar! I'd swear you are part of our family.
I had to laugh when you left your comment on my blog about thinking I lived in Oregon. I live in Upper Michigan, but I started out in Wisconsin, then moved to Missouri, then to Alaska and now in the U.P.
'hugs from afar'

Róisín said...

Mmmmm... macerated strawberries. Do you know, I always do that with strawberries but never knew what it was called. It always put my in mind of biology class at school so I call them osmosis strawberries! Anyway. Love that wee voodoo dolls! Cute and creepy, the best way :) Oh, and happy mother's day! All the MD posts on my draft freaked me out a little at the weekend, I thought for a minute I was the worst daughter ever until I remembered we have it on a different date over here. Phew! Anyhoo, hope you had a great one!

Roisin x